Friday, October 28, 2005

Temos uma empregada!!!

This week Catherine and I had our first experiences with an empregada. That means housekeeper in Portuguese. For the first two months here in Maputo, Catherine and I struggled with our issues of employing someone here to take care of our apartment. To me, the idea of having a “servant,” especially one that was black and female while I am white and male, was difficult for me to accept. I felt that I would have a hard time dealing with the inevitable power dynamic that would be tilted in my favour. I’ve always reluctantly approached situations where I was the “boss.” Now I had somebody working for me…in my own house!! How would I handle this? What would I say to her?

Eventually we convinced ourselves that it was worse for us not to have a housekeeper. We certainly had the means to support somebody to do it, and the work employs a ton of women here in Maputo. It’s quite common place and nobody here thinks anything of it. In the end we decided to support the Mozambican economy rather than hold onto out misplaced North American notions of pride and self-respect.

So now we have Rebecca, and things couldn’t be better. In all honesty, the woman’s domestic skills defy all limits of logic and expectation. Our floors have never been cleaner, our clothes have never softer, our food has never been more fresh, our rooms have never been tidier and our bugs have never been more absent. She easily deserves 100 medals in my eyes. And she doesn’t speak a lick of English which is great because Cathy and I both need to be pushed harder to speak more Portuguese. She is kind and beautiful and has a nine year old daughter named Elsa. She hasn’t had a job in quite awhile and is tremendously happy to have the opportunity to work for us. I know that I am going to get totally spoiled by this!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Jared. Personal I am to lazy to do my own cleaning. But then again we are also to lazy to hire a housecleaner.

7:49 p.m.  
Blogger joel said...

not sure what I want to think about this new development... part of me has the same automatic aversion to the thought of having a servant, and part of me wants to believe that its a good thing for you to "support the local economy," in whatever small ways that you might. But then, jfunk had a good point, would you have a servant at home? why do you need this service now for things you are perfectly capable of doing yourself? Perhaps you could share your thoughts on how your situation compares to how you would be living in Canada. Also, what effect does it have on how you are perceived by the people around you? you say it's quite common, for whom? Are you perpetuating a class structure, or is this any different than the local equivalent of the Canadian expectation of all of our luxuries? We have satellite tv, computers hooked up to the internet, machines that wash our clothes and dishes, fancy cars, and clean water... just because these things aren't handed directly to us by individuals doesn't mean me aren't paying for our opulence. is there a difference?

7:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senor Jared;
good to hear that your personal life-style is being attended to (just like home eh?) and why not??
You have more important duties of business and personal safety to attend to. Enjoy the Ride!!
Unc Ed.

7:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jared man i didnt even know u had this blog! its really cool ur mom gave me the link today (sunday) in church! i miss you alot! oo by the way its shannon from floor hockey! hows it going? ur blogs are really interesting ! i like them:)so any ways e-mail me sometime if u have time its sweetdude782@hotmail.com so ya i got to go but i miss you hope u come back soon!

7:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you hippies.

Most of you attacking Jared for this have advanced degrees in Political Science. If that isn't the biggest sign of wealth then I don't known what is. We all like to makr our lives a little easier every day.

If you could afford a housekeeper then you would have one too. Never look at the world for your idealism, look at it from the facts

12:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jared,

I'm all for making life easier at home - it frees up time for other things whether it's work or pleasure!! And who doesn't enjoy coming home to a clean place at the end of a long day. So good for you and your roommate. Enjoy having the help around the house.

Tracy

PS I still remember how much you don't like telling others what to do ... LOL

4:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick is my hero :)

2:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consider any university degree a sign of wealth. As it shows that you don't have to throw yourself into the workforce in order to support yourself. As the women Jared has hired to clean his house clearly does.

10:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So jfunk, are we to understand that you CHOSE to wait on tables, probably cleaned up after people, "served" them food and drink and were paid for this,in order to support your child and yourself? MMMMMMMMMMM?

Is Jared's househelp not chosing the same thing? You possibly had other options for employment, but being a "servant" was what you chose. In Africa, womens' options for employment are often limited. Being employed in someones home is a safe, admirable and in many cases a very well paying job.

Jared I am glad you made the decision to provide employment for one of the locals. Being considered one of the miserly wealthy who horde their affluence could possibly have a very negative affect for you there. Maybe this is why you where mugged?

Being seen as a wealthy foreigner who gives back to the Maputan community through the work that you are doing and the lifestyle you are living, will hopefully allow you to connect with the locals and enrich your experience in Mozambique. When in Rome.......

12:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home