Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hamas and the Holy Land

Many people have been asking me recently about my opinions on the victory of Hamas in the Palestinian elections. Although it has been almost seven years since I lived in the Holy Land, I still feel a strong connection to the land and its people. I don't think there is another place in the world where politics and religion are so intimately and passionately intertwined. If you've ever been there, you know that there is an evergy in the region that grips your heart and awakens your consciousness. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is one that will never go away as the voices of moderation continue to be drowned out by the extreme saber rattling factions on either side of the fence. Leonard Cohen once had this to say, "I've seen the nations rise and fall, I've heard your stories heard them all, but love is the only machine of survival." When looking at the current state of Israel and Palestine, I could not agree more.

One Love Brother

Sometimes I want nothing more
Than to know how I can love you
We are brothers standing here
On either side of this wall
That has existed
In one form or another
For the past 3000 years
When will we finally see
That it is one Father we serve
One Mother that gave us birth
One Blood that unites us
and one Love that will save us

How did this victory happen?
Through the spiral of violence
That has been tolerated
Throughout the Generations
And now is roaring loudly
And gnashing its teeth
At the branches of olives

To cross this sea
That divides us from heaven on earth
We must balance on this boat
Each digging the oar in deep
And each trimming the sail
Why must we rock this vessel
And incite the storms of destruction
That are gathering as we posture
And sharpen our swords

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man I like what you wrote, and I'm glad you used a Choen quote, but you mixed up the lyrics a bit and I can't let you get away with that. It's "loves the only ENGINE of survival". Sorry for being picky, but you know me with lyrics. Would have liked to of seen that concert.

9:34 p.m.  
Blogger jpmozambique said...

hey i appreciate the "lyric policing," it's difficult to slide one past a guy that knows over 2000 songs!!

12:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home