Saturday, February 04, 2006

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I'm very excited because tomorrow I am embarking on my greatest work related trip during my time in Mozambique so far. Myself and my new co-worker, Cremildo Carlos, are heading up to Nampula Province in Northern Mozambique to spend a week working with two microfinance operators in the region. We're going to be visiting many of the rural projects as well which should prove to be fascinating. I enjoy my job here in Maputo but I cherish every moment I get to work out in the field and I beleive that this one should be very rewarding.

I'm also excited to begin this first field assignment with Cremildo. MMF just hired him this month to work as the HIV/AIDS technical advisor and already I am regretting not having him here since the begining of my internship. He brings a lot of experience and insight to the team and possesses an uncany ability to always say the right things and get the right things done. He's my age and already we've developed a pretty good working vibe. I'm also excited because Cremildo has never flown in a plane before and I can't wait to see his reaction to seeing Mozambique through the eyes of a bird. He's eagerly looking forward to the trip but I can also tell that he is a little nervous to go up into the sky for the first time!!

Then after this week I'm going to spend a few extra days up in Nampula checking out the sights in that part of the country. I'm definitely going to check out Ilha de Mozambique, a 500 year old Portuguese colonial settlement that is a UNESCO world heritage site. I'm a pretty big history buff and I've wanted to see this colonial relic ever since I began researching the country of Mozambiue. I don't imagine I'll have much internet access up there but I'll definitely take as many pictures as I can and tell you about the whole experience.

Blessings to you all,

Jp

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ilha de Mozambique looks pretty cool Jared. Good Luck on your trip north.

12:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck Jar-pen. have a great trip.

11:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home